Click here for the Instructor Application Form
Writing News and Press ReleasesStarting: 04/06/2020$259 20 Spots Open
20 Spots Open
Dates: Monday April 6, 2020 to
Friday May 1, 2020
TIME: 12:01AM to 11:59PM
Num. of Classes: 26
Course Num: U03.3-W20
Being able to write a good news story, press release or publicity notice is a skill that can set you apart in the workplace. Getting the word out is an essential activity for every organization. Acquire the skills good journalists have and learn how to craft a news story, press release or publicity notice that will get attention.
One month online course April 6 – May 1, 2020 / Average 16 hours
Unit 1 – The Skills good journalists have
- What journalists know how to do
- How to think like your audience
- Kinds of publicity notices
- Keys to successful publicity notices
Unit 2 – Writing a good news story
- The inverted pyramid
- The 5 Ws and H
- How not to bury the lead
- Writing a good headline for your story
Unit 3 – Creating the Successful Press Release
- The press release format
- Quotes, how many to use, who to quote and how
- How and where to highlight your organization and contact
- Avoiding the direct sales pitch
Unit 4 – Distributing Your Press Release
- Targeting media, journalists and audiences
- Email press releases
- Print press releases
- Getting attention
- Know the different kinds of publicity notices
- Learn the skills involved in writing a news story
- Know how a press release is constructed
- Take away the ability to create a successful press release
- Be able to write from a journalism and news perspective
At the end of this course, you will:
- Know the essential elements of news writing
- Have the knowledge skills to write a press release or publicity notice
- Be able to construct a news story using the inverted pyramid, 5 Ws, and other journalism techniques
- Know how to write a good headline and lead
- Have the skills necessary to distribute a news story or press release
About online learning
Online learning is a fun, enjoyable and very productive way to learn. Millions of people are learning online each year. You will engage with the instructor and other participants. You will get to know your instructor and other participants. You may make friends. It’s easy. It’s fun.
How the Course Works
It is easy to participate in your online course. After you register, you will be given a web address to go to get into your online classroom. You will have a password and use your email address and password to gain access. Once inside the online classroom, here’s what you can expect.
Participate when you want
You can participate any time of day or evening. The online classroom is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. There are no live real-time requirements or meetings. You decide when you participate. For the best learning, participants should log into the course on 2-3 different days of the week.
What you will do
For each Unit, you will:
- Read the print readings (about 20 pages a week)
- Have the option of accessing the online readings
- Listen to the audio presentation for the Unit and view the slides
- Have the option of taking a self-quiz to see how much you have learned
- Engage in written online discussion with your instructor and other participants
- For best learning, you should make one or more comments at 2-3 different times each week.
- The content (readings, audio lectures, slides) and self quizzes are accessible for the entire course, so you can work ahead, or go back and review again, at your convenience.
- The Discussion for each Unit lasts one week. All comments are made in writing and can be made at any time of the day or night.
- Your instructor will log into the Discussion area at least once a day and answer questions, make comments, and respond to comments by you and the other participants.
- We encourage you to make 2-3 comments each week to maximize your learning and enjoyment of the course.
- Please provide a separate cheque or money order for each course.
- Confirmation’s will be emailed at the time of registration.
- Full refunds will be issued for courses cancelled by Louis Riel School Division Continuing Education.
- Refunds are issued for cancellations made at the request of the registrant up to seven days prior to the start date of the course and are subject to a $10 administration fee. Refunds will NOT be granted for cancellations made fewer than seven days prior to the course start date.
Please contact the Louis Riel School Division Continuing Education at (204)237-8130 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
The online classroom for this course is available from April 6 - May 1, 2020. This course must be completed within this time frame.
Instructor:William A. Draves