Click here for the Instructor Application Form
Effective CopywritingStarting: 03/02/2020$259 20 Spots Open
20 Spots Open
Dates: Monday March 2, 2020 to
Friday March 27, 2020
TIME: 12:01AM to 11:59PM
Num. of Classes: 26
Course Num: U03.2-W20
Whether you are sending out a press release, communicating internally with a memo or promoting your own skills on LinkedIn, strong writing skills are the key to success. Come away with the tools and techniques you need to improve your copywriting skills and learn how to avoid the common writing mistakes that can hold you back.
One month online course March 2 – 27, 2020 / Average 16 hours
Unit 1 – Copywriting Essentials
- How to tell the difference between bad copy and good copy
- The art of the perfect sentence
- Developing your message
- Crafting your document roadmap
- Adapting your style to the audience and message
Unit 2 – Getting to the Point
- Clarity and brevity: Less is more
- Active vs. Passive Voice
- Cutting the clutter
- Using concrete examples and avoiding unwarranted superlatives
Unit 3 – Self Editing
- Leaving yourself time for revisions
- voiding common grammar mistakes and punctuation pitfalls
- Subject, verb and object agreement
- Fact checking
- The benefits of having an in-house style guide
- Avoiding common grammar
Unit 4 – Creating Attention-grabbing Press Releases
- Writing benefit-driven copy
- Setting the right tone
- Language to use and language to avoid
- Writing a great headline
- To address the overall importance of strong writing skills
- To provide a clear understanding of correct sentence structure and proper punctuation
- To explain the best techniques for self-editing
- To address the challenges of succinct writing
- To Provide resources for continued writing enhancement
At the end of this course, you will:
- Take away skills that enable you to write clear, compelling copy.
- Be able to communicate your goals, thoughts and objectives more effectively.
- Know how to make the best word choices.
- Have the ability to easily adapt your writing style to your target audience.
- Know how to spot and avoid common grammatical errors.
About online learning
Online learning is a fun, enjoyable and very productive way to learn. Millions of people are learning online each year. You will engage with the instructor and other participants. You will get to know your instructor and other participants. You may make friends. It’s easy. It’s fun.
How the Course Works
It is easy to participate in your online course. After you register, you will be given a web address to go to get into your online classroom. You will have a password and use your email address and password to gain access. Once inside the online classroom, here’s what you can expect.
Participate when you want
You can participate any time of day or evening. The online classroom is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. There are no live real-time requirements or meetings. You decide when you participate. For the best learning, participants should log into the course on 2-3 different days of the week.
What you will do
For each Unit, you will:
- Read the print readings (about 20 pages a week)
- Have the option of accessing the online readings
- Listen to the audio presentation for the Unit and view the slides
- Have the option of taking a self-quiz to see how much you have learned
- Engage in written online discussion with your instructor and other participants
- For best learning, you should make one or more comments at 2-3 different times each week.
- The content (readings, audio lectures, slides) and self quizzes are accessible for the entire course, so you can work ahead, or go back and review again, at your convenience.
- The Discussion for each Unit lasts one week. All comments are made in writing and can be made at any time of the day or night.
- Your instructor will log into the Discussion area at least once a day and answer questions, make comments, and respond to comments by you and the other participants.
- We encourage you to make 2-3 comments each week to maximize your learning and enjoyment of the course.
- Please provide a separate cheque or money order for each course.
- Confirmation’s will be emailed at the time of registration.
- Full refunds will be issued for courses cancelled by Louis Riel School Division Continuing Education.
- Refunds are issued for cancellations made at the request of the registrant up to seven days prior to the start date of the course and are subject to a $10 administration fee. Refunds will NOT be granted for cancellations made fewer than seven days prior to the course start date.
Please contact the Louis Riel School Division Continuing Education at (204)237-8130 or email@example.com for more info.
The online classroom for this course is available from March 2 - 27, 2020. This course must be completed within this time frame.