Click here for the Instructor Application Form
Business WritingStarting: 02/03/2020$259 20 Spots Open
20 Spots Open
Dates: Monday February 3, 2020 to
Friday February 28, 2020
TIME: 12:01AM to 11:59PM
Num. of Classes: 26
Course Num: U03.1-W20
Take away the key practices you need to develop and hone your business writing communication effectively and successfully. Get the best practices for crafting effective, professional business documents. Find out how to avoid grammatical pitfalls. And acquire business writing principles that will be good for years to come.
One-month course February 3 – 28, 2020 / Average 16 hours
Unit 1 – Writing as a Process
- Audience, Purpose, and Medium
- Outlining for Successful Writing
- Organization Models (Choosing a Model that Works)
- Principles of Business Communication
Unit 2 – Written Communication in the Workplace
- Writing Reports (formal and informal)
- Drafting and Revision
- Writing the First Draft
- Constructing Openings and Closings that Work
Unit 3 – Writing a Proposal
- Writing for Your Readers
- Writing Effective Content
- Safeguarding Users
- Ethical Considerations
Unit 4 – Collaborative Writing and Research
- Research and Team Writing
- Collaborating Across Departments
- Working Through Conflict
- Gain an understanding of common grammar issues that affect successful writing
- Gain an understanding of the principles of effective writing
- Gain an understanding of best practices for improving overall writing
- Apply the principles of effective business writing to hone communication skills
- Develop competence in business writing
Upon successfully completing the course you will:
- Recognize and avoid grammatical errors that affect successful written communication
- Successfully apply effective proofreading and editing techniques to business documents
- Implement techniques for improving overall writing
- Use their knowledge of the best practices to craft effective business documents
- Improve overall competence in business writing
About online learning
Online learning is a fun, enjoyable and very productive way to learn. Millions of people are learning online each year. You will engage with the instructor and other participants. You will get to know your instructor and other participants. You may make friends. It’s easy. It’s fun.
How the Course Works
It is easy to participate in your online course. After you register, you will be given a web address to go to get into your online classroom. You will have a password and use your email address and password to gain access. Once inside the online classroom, here’s what you can expect.
Participate when you want
You can participate any time of day or evening. The online classroom is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. There are no live real-time requirements or meetings. You decide when you participate. For the best learning, participants should log into the course on 2-3 different days of the week.
What you will do
For each Unit, you will:
- Access the online readings
- Listen to the audio presentation for the Unit and view the slides
- Take a self-quiz to see how much you have learned
- Engage in written online discussion with your instructor and other participants
- For best learning, you should make one or more comments at 2-3 different times each day.
- The content (readings, audio lectures, slides) and self quizzes are accessible for the entire course, so you can work ahead, or go back and review again, at your convenience.
- The Discussion for each Unit lasts one week. All comments are made in writing and can be made at any time of the day or night.
- Your instructor will log into the Discussion area at least once a day and answer questions, make comments, and respond to comments by you and the other participants.
- We encourage you to make 2-3 comments each day to maximize your learning and enjoyment of the course.
- Please provide a separate cheque or money order for each course.
- Confirmation’s will be emailed at the time of registration.
- Full refunds will be issued for courses cancelled by Louis Riel School Division Continuing Education.
- Refunds are issued for cancellations made at the request of the registrant up to seven days prior to the start date of the course and are subject to a $10 administration fee. Refunds will NOT be granted for cancellations made fewer than seven days prior to the course start date.
Please contact the Louis Riel School Division Continuing Education at (204)237-8130 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
The online classroom for this course is available from February 3 - 28, 2020. This course must be completed within this time frame.